Saturday, September 27, 2014

From the Village to the Golf Course

This past week I had the opportunity to go with some friends to live in the village a few days and experience what life was like there. 
How was it..? Different, dirty and boring. haha 

First we took a train from Delhi to Agra so we could go to the village of a friend's family and stay with them. 

The village had its dirty areas and clean areas.. this was a nicer part :) 

But my favorite part was the farm fields. When we first arrived I couldn't help but cry a little because it looked just like "home" .. Texas that is. 

This is the room we stayed in on cots. It was a nice house they were building just outside the main village area. There was no AC of course and the electricity was off most of the time. So at night we slept in the heat, with no fan, and were eaten by mosquitos.. definitely the most miserable nights of my life. 

For breakfast the ladies made pakora.. aka bread and potatoes deep fried. 
I was really surprised at the lack of over-all nutrition. 
We tried to help but they refused because we were they're guests.. or maybe they thought we wouldn't do it right? haha (which is probably right..) 


My first day back Luke wanted to check out a golf course he heard about that we thought would allow Ezra to play with us. 
(the fancy Delhi golf course doesn't allow toddlers to play..? haha) 

We had quite a trip trying to find it. We don't have a car so we took an auto rickshaw and an electric rickshaw (similar to golf carts kind of?). We got lost.. made some friends.. I don't think they have seen foreigners before. They were taking pictures of us.. so we took one of them :) haha

Did I mention we got lost..? This is not a golf course. Turns out the course is built right by a slum.. only in India. 

The nice security guard who let us in the restricted area where they were building something so we could finally get to the course entrance. 

And we arrived! 
We played for $4 each. 
It was definitely a hole in the wall course which is why they let us bring Ezra. 
There were stray dogs and monkeys.. yes monkeys. So I was a helicopter mom the whole time :) 

Ezra had so much fun! 
I've seen him play lots of time but it still cracks me up.. what 1.5 year old has this kind of form?? haha 
It's a really fun family activity so I'm thankful. 


It was a crazy week of highs and lows. 
I'm glad to see how different people live but I'm VERY thankful to be back home with my family.. and AC.. and American food.. but mostly my family. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment